Europe is one of the world’s largest English-speaking regions, yet how much do we know about the language that is its lingua franca or the impact English is having on Europe’s linguistic diversity and identity? The Guardian Weekly, 18 April 2001. This debate about the role of English includes the following contributions which you can read and listen to:
• Robert Phillipson: Principles and policies for a multilingual Europe
• Julianne House: English as a lingua franca for Europe
• John Walsh: Can minority languages survive?
• Barbara Seidlhofer: Teaching English as a lingua franca for Europe
• Jennifer Jenkins: Accents of English in Europe